SHORT-TERM INTERVENTIONS INSPIRING LONG-TERM CHANGE
with Harold Madi and Megan Jones, Stantec
Much of the infrastructure in place today was designed for a different time —a time of much different priorities. Just because that’s the way it’s always been, doesn’t mean that’s the way it should stay. Tactical urbanism refers to testing out temporary interventions that can inspire permanent changes in our future to reflect a community we all can live, work and play in. Learn more about tactical urbanism and put your new skills to work in this two day seminar and workshop.
In this highly interactive workshop, you will:
- Learn the principles of tactical urbanism
- Work with different materials to create tactical urbanism interventions
- Be challenged to think about and apply the big-picture perspective to all aspects of tactical urbanism
- Build a prototype tactical urbanism intervention to be used in Park(ing) Day 2018
- Network and build partnerships with other like-minded urbanists!
Who should attend?
- Community Associations
- Business Improvement Districts
- Commercial Districts and Property Owners
- Economic Development Practitioners
- Local Government
- Design professionals
- Interested citizens
Understanding the limited resources available to non-profit groups and individuals, we are offering 10 free Tactical Urbanism 101 workshop scholarships for the following groups:
- Community Associations
- Bicycling Groups
- Emerging Design Professionals (within 3 years of graduation)
- Indigenous community
Do you want to learn, be engaged and affect positive change on your community? Apply with a brief statement on:
Why are you interested in this workshop and what do you hope to learn?
Include any specific interests that apply to this workshop like working with your municipal organization, events like Park(ing) Day, improving bike lanes, etc.
Also let us know if you are able to attend:
1) Both days of the workshop 2) Thursday afternoon or evening 3) Friday
PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
CONTACT INFO (MAILING/PHONE #/EMAIL)
Send to: email@example.com
To be considered: please apply by Monday, February 26
Day 1 – 1:00PM – 5:00PM
Thursday, March 1, 2018
(DAY 1 workshop NOW OFFERED Thursday night as well – 5:00PM – 8:00PM (light supper provided)
- What is tactical urbanism?
- Best practices
- Local case study assignment overview
- Case study site plan design
Day 2 – 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Friday, March 2, 2018
- Fabrication/installation continues
- Case study presentations
- Lessons learned
- Please wear long pants and close toed shoes. Bring a sweater just in case!
- Don’t worry – we won’t be working outside in March! All work will be completed indoors.
- Coffee breaks and lunch will be provided.
- One drink ticket will be provided for use at the post-workshop Networking Social.
$100 plus tax (registration required)
Location: Former Sears Bargain Centre, 1230 Broad Street, Regina
Thursday, March 1, 2018 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Friday, March 2, 2018 9:00 am – 5:00pm
LOCATION: Former Sears Bargain Centre, 1230 Broad Street, Regina, SK
Parking provided in the Hamilton Street lot. Use west entrance fronting Hamilton.
Free Networking Social
1230 Broad Street, Regina
FRIDAY, MARCH 2, 2018, 5:00PM—7:30PM
NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED